Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print server cluster fail-over

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgwisby

Technical User
Apr 13, 2005
US
If I create a print server cluster utilizing MS Cluster Service, will a failover occur if a print job or the spooler fails on the active server?
I've never managed a clustered environment, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
David

For an automatic fail over to occur the spooler service would faily over. In order to keep everything in the print spool after the fail over you'll need to move the print spool's folder to a shared drive.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Thanks MrDenny, I appreciate your advice and insight. I was not sure if the servers would fail over in the event of spooler errors. It seems this is what we are looking for in order to keep our print server constantly running in support of our Citrix server farm.
David

You would probably need to write some monitoring scripts or use monitoring software and have it check the spooler for errors. If it detected an error it could then initiate a "manual" failover.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back