Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print Queue Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

btalon

Programmer
Dec 16, 2002
US
I am running Windows 2000 SP4 and am having problems with a local printer. When you send a print job to the printer it goes to the queue and disappears like it has printed. If I turn the printer off or unplug the usb, then the job will sit in the queue. The local printer is connected via USB. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer software and drivers every possible way. I also deleted the USB devices out of the Device Manager so they would re-install during a reboot. The printer is connected directly to the computer (no intermediary device).

I have no problems printing to the network printer or to a printer hooked up to the parellel printer port. The computer sees the usb printer and can check the ink levels and the status is ready so I'm not seeing a communication problem there. There are no errors being logged in the Event Viewer either. I unplugged the printer and installed it on another computer and it worked fine (to make sure there wasn't an issue with the printer). I am out of ideas.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

See what others say. It appears your haven't taken another working printer, install it with this PC to test. Lastly if I have a spare disk, I'll re-build the system to verify there is no hardware problem. Just my 2 cents.

The printer requires USB 2.0 and will not work with USB 1.1, even though it does not complain.

It's been working fine for more than a year until recently.

Have you tried removing the USB Device Hub in Device Manager to get it to reinstall?

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back