Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print Preview is Giberish in version 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindPete

Programmer
Jul 5, 2000
US
Print Preview is giberish in version 10.

What is double strange if I export from the preview its fine. The font in use is Arial which I would think is common enough.

Does anyone have any idea where I should or ideas to try?

-Pete

Selecting "No Printer" in print setup seems to have cured it.

-Pete

Pete.

I'm having the same problem on a single computer (software I sell). So just setting the Printer in CR development to 'No Printer' takes care of this issue?

If it was easy, everybody would do it.

yes, it did for me.

I have PDF Writer as my default printer (I travel a lot) and selecting the "no printer" option cured the issue for me. Still it is very puzzling to me. Business Objects website was not all that helpfull but it is where I got the idea.

I'm not certain if the problem was PDF Writer or not. But by selecting "no printer" CR engages its own generic driver for rendering the preview.

-Pete

CR uses the default printer for a lot of page formatting settings. Perhaps the PDF printer didn't work well there.

What if you have a different default printer? Pretend there is a laser or ink jet plugged into your machine and create a pretend printer there and set that to default.

We found when setting up a training room, having at least one printer did help with some page formatting.

Editor and Publisher of Crystal Clear

Rats. I changed all 18 CR files to 'No Printer', rebuilt the installation, and the customer is still getting the Gibberish when previewing, and MOSTLY gibberish when he actually prints it out. When he prints it to the printer, all of MY data fields (arial) print fine, but the text etc. on the CR Form itself is gibberish.

Hmmmm...

I just thought of something... yesterday, I removed 'OLEPRO32.DLL' from my installation (always gives an error)... Do you suppose that has anything to do with the CR forms printing gibberish?

Well, here's the bottom line. My customer has a "Kyocera FS-9500DN" printer, and anything in Italics or Bold (Arial for both), it substitues gibberish. Ideas?

Sorry CrLf, I just do not know. Perhaps try chelseatec's idea about using some generic laser printer.

Actually I was experiencing the same behaviot as you. Labels were fine in preview (Actually the entire header and footer was fine) but dat fields were giberish.

If you export to PDF from preview does that work?

-Pete

This FAQ might help your installation error too.

DLL registration
Shortcut to manually register DLL's..
faq768-3537

-Pete

In the "Printing Preferences..." for the "Kyocera FS-9500DN" printer, there is an "Imaging" tab. You should find a "Font Settings" button, the dialog that opens check "Disable Device Fonts".

The device is substituting the Arial font with a non-unicode Arial font.

Problem resolved.

I found on the Kyocera website that they had a recent drive. The customer downloaded it, and everything prints perfectly.

Thanks all.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back