Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print PDF-417 2-D Barcode

Status
Not open for further replies.

llmoore

Programmer
Jun 4, 2002
US
I need to print up to 4 PDF-417 2-D Barcodes on a CR report and the report will be output in Acrobat PDF.

I currently create the barcode on the clipboard in a visual basic program and paste them on a form in the program. To print the report I do a form print for a hard copy and I can not output to Acrobat PDF.

The visual basic program will run to create the barcode before the CR report is run and the data will change for each report.

I can create the barcode images in the following formats Windows WMF and Windows DIB for the clipboard. I can output to multiple files for each of the barcodes in the following formats Windows WMF, Windows DIB, TIFF, Windows DIB file, ESP (Encapsulated PostScript, and PCL (HP printer control).

I have been able to associate a TIFF file to an OLE object but it creates to much gray and can not be read by the scanner.

Thanks

Loren Moore

A picture is permanent and does not change when the data changes.

Thanks

Loren Moore

Hi

Create the wmf file and store this as a Blob field in the database. In the report use this blob field to show the image.

Regards
Krishna Kumar

Thanks Jessica,
I will check the Azalea fonts. I am currently using Symbol software that provides linked barcodes which I am using for this project. I will check out their demo font. The .jpg and .png formats are not available in the Symbol software.

Thanks Krishna,
I have tried the Blob field in the database. The field in the report is blank. I have been able to get the barcode to display using the TIFF format but when the data changes the report does not update.

Thank You

Loren Moore

Hi

Whats the database are you using? I would like to know why you are getting blank. I am using the blob field method to show charts in my program. I am using sql 2000.

Regards
Krishna Kumar

Krishna,
I'm using Access 97.

This is a demo project for software vendors who create tax software for taxpayers to file specific taxes (Internation Fuel Tax). I write the spec's for the data layout for the barcode and create samples for upper management approval. Another department sends the spec's, edits and validations, and test samples to the software vendors who will create the programs that the taxpayers use. The software vendors like us to e-mail the packets to them. This is where I'm trying to use Crystal Reports to create e-mailable test packets that will have a sample of the barcode.

I hope this has not been to detailed.

Loren Moore

Krishna, using the Crystal Report.Net and C#, I was able to build a XML dataset containg the image I want to show in the report, as you suggested it is seen as a BLOB field on the report itself.
If the image is .jpg,.bmp,.png or .tif there are no problems, it's shown correctly and dinamically.
The problem is with WMF (or EMF): the report in this case if completely blank (but the original image is created normally as I have checked later).
How are you able to display the WMF pictures without this problem...?
Thanks for your help,
Davide.

Thanks to All,
To solve my problem with printing PDF-417 barcode to a Crystal Report and then create a PDF file, I accquired Adobe Acrobat and now print to the distiller by-passing Crystal Reports. I print a Visual Basic form and I get the quality I need. Using this method gives me multiple files but I'm able to combine the files to one and e-mail to our software developers. Printing the PDF files gives me a scanable document. This is not my orignal intent but it will work.

Thanks Again

Loren Moore

Dear Davide.

I havent tried wmf. But I think there are some limitations to Blob field. I couldnt show a gif image using this method. So I assume there are some limitations..

Regards
Krishna Kumar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back