Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print multiple page sets from the same file

Status
Not open for further replies.

griffonwing

Technical User
Mar 7, 2009
US
This is related to the Spreads thread I just posted.

What I hope to do is have a Master Portfolio file which I can print off different iterations of the file.

For example: Say I have a book with 40 chapters. One book would have chapters 1-5, 7-9, 20, 25-37, and 40. Book 2 would have chapters 1-10, 11-13, and 17. And so on and so forth. All printed from the same file.

I'd like to have it so that I don't have to save multiple documents. I've touched upon looking at the Book (indb) but it seems as though I would need to have a file for each page, which I hope I didn't misread.

gw

The book Feature is just a container to manage different files. You can have as many or as little as you need.

For example if i'm doing a 10 chapter book and the client like to have 10 individual chapters, so I end up with 10 files.
I can then use then put all of these into the book feature.

Once I've done that it just a matter of selecting which ones or all of then to print, and I only have to input the print menu once...

Marcus

Thanks Marcus. After more research, and reading up on it, I had come to that conclusion myself. So this is not what I am looking for.

I'll explain exactly what the portfolio is. It consists of pictures of architectural church projects. Each page is devoted to one church. The front page has pictures of the church, the back page has the floor plan. There will be about 100 churches in the main file.

We'll want to set it up so that we can print a book consisting of Small Projects, Large Projects, Worship Centers, Multi-Purpose Facilities, possibly even booklets sole;y showcasing a mix of these for a particulat denomination, such as Catholic or Baptist.

I'd like to have a print preset that will print a specific range of pages, such as Preset 1 will be set up to print the pages designated for small churches, Preint preset 2 will be set up all the Baptist projects, etc..

In this manner, All I would need to do would be to add in extra pages at the end of the main file, and simple edit the print preset to include these files when we decide to print.

This seems to be a rare need, so I doubt if this ability has been implemented. If it has not, I may put in an official request to Adobe, and see if it would be possible to add this feature as a plug-in, or possibly in CS5.

gw

Hi gw,

There is way to create a pdf just the way you want.
If you are working with CS4 you can use "conditional text/graphics".
1. If you make a condition "Small Projects" and "Large Projects"
and "Worship Centers" ect..
2. Then set the condition to your graphics and text.
3. Then when you want to make a pdf of the "Small Projects", you just select that condition and it only generates this items.
4. it is also possible to select more conditions at once.

There is one little thing.. all projects should be placed into a story that spans over the total pages of the document....
This way the story will -collapse- together.. leaving all projects right after each other, without empty pages...
(do you understand what i try explain ?)

Macel

I didn't understand what you had written until I googled "indesign conditional text" and found a link to

This it what I was looking for! Very nice. Thank you greatly!

It will be only pictures that i will have to contextualize, apart from the TITLE text on each page. Once I get more pages done, I'll run some tests, and see how well this will work. Such as, spacing and such.

Is it possible to contextualize pages instead of just text/images? Hrmm. Perhaps Adobe can add this option as a plug-in or update.

But yeah, this is definately good news for the project. Thanks again!

gw

Tried it out a bit ago, but there is no Conditional Graphics option, and I can only seem to put conditional modifiers on text, not a whole text box.

So, I think this will not be a viable solution after all.

But i do thank you for trying to help.

(Also, in my previous post, I mean "conditionalize", not "contextualize". Yeah, I'm an idiot.)

It sound like you only need Three files
Inclosed in a book:

Book
Small Projects [Pages 1-10]
Large Projects [Pages 11-20]
Worship Centres [Pages 21-30]
Book

Which you can add to when ever you like

Unless of course they are scattered throughout the job like:

Page 1-2 Small
Page 3-4 Large
Page 5-6 Worship
Page 7-8 Small
Page 9-10 Large

Can you please confirm this?

Marcus

After more surfing the net the notes I was given here on conditional texts, I finally found the solution.

I created a text box with some anchored images in the text box, followed by the church name & location centered on the bottom of the page, and after that, I anchored the floor plan and expanded the text box to the next page.

So, I have one text box, with all of the images and information. I then selected everything in the textbox, and gave it the condition that it met.

The page (front and back) can be turned on and off, depending on which book we need printed. And with the added ability of InDesign to ignore printing totally blank pages, it should negate the need to sort through the printed book and remove pages 2-10 (for example) which didn't meet the requirement for the book.

This is going to make my life 100 percent easier, and will allow me to have one file with every project.

Thanks for your help, everyone who made suggestions Now I can get busy on what I should have been doing all along. But at lease it gave me a legit reason to surf the web and watch training videos!

gw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back