Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print multiple documents

Status
Not open for further replies.

yippiekyyay

Programmer
Oct 26, 2002
CA
Hello all,

I know that pre XP I could select several files from Windows Explorer - right click - select "Print", and it would print out all the documents.

I can't seem to do this anymore. I get a warning screen (something like "you are about to print 24 documents. Are you sure?") but after I click "yes" or "ok", nothing happens (the print queue is empty). It does work for 1 at a time though!

I read something somewhere else about the ability to open multiple files. The solution was to click and drag the files onto a shortcut. This did not work for a printer shortcut though (but again, it will for 1 file).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Sean

So this is really going to confuse you guys. Just out of curiosity I tried to print 3 words documents today by right clicking and choosing print.

It worked, whats changed? Nothing. Except the most recent critical windows updates. Go figure. Still need to visit my user to see if it works for her. I'll let you know.

Craig

To get it even worse I have traced it down to something in Windows 2000 server running xp workstations ie something to do with active directory unless somebody knows more than I do
Dave

The only wayI have been able to get it working is by opening word going to the relevant folder, highlighting all the files, right clicking then printing. You do not even have to open them. If I try to do it from explorer 1 person can and 1 can't on the same machine. I still do not have a clue hope somebody does.
Dave

Didn't see a resolution here. I am having the same problem with XP Pro SP1 in an Active Directory environment. Having this problem on all 1700+ machines that we just rolled out!

I too am having this problem all of a sudden. I tried undoing the Tweak that stops programs from taking focus and still nothing, Arghh. Has anyone found the answer yet? kolbd@comar.com

Same problem here. I have one or two users who need this function and pre-XP it did work. I have made the users administrators, tweaked XP, turned off all the fancy menu fading and performance related stuff and printer drivers and it doesn't print. The user has at times been able to open multiple files, but they won't print. I have had only one instance of successfully printing the files and they did not print sequentially which is part of the problem.
The user has a PIII 800 with 512Mb
Printer is HP LaserJet 8150N

Strangely, it prints to a different printer ok, and the only difference is the firmware. That's tomorrows job...

Hopefully someone will find something on this soon. I've been at it for several weeks already.

Seems I've got our solution...
I discovered that the network printer to which the files were being sent was set to auto-negotiate the network speed, and the back-end was set to 100Full. Strangely, the printer was negotiating at 100Half, and as I have since discovered, "half" is very bad.

I modified our printers JetDirect card to negotiate only 100Full, and we got instant printing. The printer is in comparison to previous printing, super fast and reliable in what it prints now.

So for all you trying this in a network situation, I think you should look at that. The only thing I can't work out is why it won't print in order of selection...but the user is satisfied at any rate.

Cheers
Hope this helps.......

We are still having this problem in trying to print or open multiple files.

I've tried all the steps everyone in this thread has recommended to no avail. If anyone does ever figure out why this occurs, I'd sure like to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back