Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print Jobs Jamming Que

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadDog

MIS
Aug 19, 1999
US
I recently upgraded our server hardware but kept NT 4 and our HP 4000TN Printers. All were working fine before upgrading the server hardware. Since the upgrade the printer ques jamm up if you send a second print job to the printer before the first one finishes printing. Once it jams you have to start and stop the printer spooler service on the server to print job #2. If you have five jobs in the que, for example, you have to start and stop the spooler in between each job until all five are printed. Any ideas of what may be causing this? Thanks in advance.

So you upgraded the hardware on your NT4 Server, or you installed a NEW server, but still use the NT4 for print queues? I'm not clear.

Matt

Please always take the time to backup important data and verify that backup, before making any changes suggested.

I installed a new server and installed NT 4 on the new server. Using the same printers and software. I am thinking it has something to do with the HP Port I installed on the new server. I read somewhere to NOT use the "HP Standard TCP/IP Printer Port" and instead use the "Standard TCP/IP Printer Port" but I don't see that as an option on my server. As long as the document sent to the printer is done printing BEFORE the next document is sent everything is ok. Otherwise the second, third, so on... document gets jammed in the que.

1. What service pack are you?
2. What services are installed in network properties (more than likely this is your issue, missing something here for lpr printing, aka "standard tcp/ip printing").

Matt

Please always take the time to backup important data and verify that backup, before making any changes suggested.

SP6a

Not sure how to answer that second question.

1. From the Start menu, select Settings, and then Control Panel. Double-click the Network icon.

2. Select the Services tab.

What is there? You can add Microsoft TCP/IP printing if it is not there.

Once that is done...

1. From the Start menu, select Settings, and then Printers.

2. Select the Add Printer icon. Make sure you keep the My Computer button selected.

3. Select Add Port to display the available port types and pick the lpr or lpd-compatible port.

4. In the LPR compatible printer dialog box, enter the name and IP address of the printer.

If at any point you have to provide a queue name, most HPs use RAW, TEXT, QUEUE, as legitimate queue names...

Matt

Microsoft TCP/IP Printing is there, under services. But, lpr or lpd-compatible ports are not available when adding a new port.

I'll look at this a bit later today when I have more time.
Any chance you have a copy of Web Jetadmin for NT?

Let that software make the ports, and then switch your printers to use those ports...

Try that.

Matt

My recollection is that is how I installed the printers in the first place (it may have been with the older JetAdmin software). I will try it with Web JetAdmin and see what happens.

That is strange. Should be there. I wish I still had an NT box. You might try removing the Microsoft TCP/IP printing, rebooting, and then re-adding it. Reapplying SP6a may also help.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back