Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

print from iBook to printer on XP machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgos

Programmer
Sep 27, 2002
US
Does anyone know if this is possible. I have downloaded the drivers with no luck. I am trying to print over a home network (IP) running a 802.11b linksys router. Thanks for your help.

Pretty Simple, make sure the printer is shared on the XP machine. Then on the iBook go to Applications --> Utilities --> Printer Setup Utility. In there just click Add. The first drop down will have where the printer is at (Appletalk, Raendezvous, USB, Windows Printing, etc..). You want to choose "Windows Printing". There you will see a list of the Workgroups/Domains on the network. Choose the the workgroup that your computer is in (probably WORKGROUP, HOME, or MSHOME). There you should see your computer listed, and once expanded the printer you want to print. If it does not automatically choose the proper Printer Model, make sure you choose the proper Printer Model in the dropdown under the list. Click Add and it should show up on your print dialogs. This is only in Panther, before Panther it is a little more complicated.

More help at Apple's Site

Hello,
I have tried this and it works fine upto the point I click print on my G4. The XP printer becomes active and then prints page after page of garbage. It actually loks like font info etc, and then it just feeds out blank sheets for awhile. I have OS X Panther and Windows XP SP2 with updated printer drivers for both XP and OS X. It did this with XP with no SP2 as well. ANy ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back