Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

print from browser without extras? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasJSmart

Programmer
Sep 16, 2002
Is there a way to print from whithin a browser without it automatically adding the title and page num at the top and the address and date at the bottom?

I learned a bit yesterday, today i learned a lot, imagine what i'll learn tomorrow!

thanks, i didnt know that, thats cool. :)

but how can i make it so visitors to my website can print my pages without having to do that?

I learned a bit yesterday, today i learned a lot, imagine what i'll learn tomorrow!

bummer :(

you could force a header/footer of your own perhaps? Maybe blank ones would work? (haven't tried it).

Check out the FAQs for this forum, especially this one :

Posting code? Wrap it with code tags: [ignore]
Code:
[/ignore][code]CodeHere
[ignore][/code][/ignore].

That works... in that it will add a header / footer to the page. But it won't get rid of the headers / footers that the browser adds onto whatever it prints out.

Only the user has control over their browser header and footers.

Woohoo!

that faq does work :p

printed without all the bs :)

THanks!

nice one - maybe post what worked for you ? would be interested to see it

Code:
[/ignore][code]CodeHere

i just copied the FAQ u posted above into my html page and it worked :)

<html>
<head>
<title> tfoot.html</title>
</head>
<body>
<center>
<TABLE >
<THEAD style=&quot;display: table-header-group&quot;>
<TR><TH>Company Private </TH></TR>
</THEAD>
<TFOOT style=&quot;display: table-footer-group&quot;>
<TR><TH>Not for distribution outside the company</TH>
</TFOOT>
<TBODY>
<tr><td>

PUT MANY LINES OF TEXT HERE TO TEST IT.
<ol>
<li>Sample text
<li>Sample text
<li>Sample text
<li>Sample text
</ol>

</td></tr>
</TBODY>

</TABLE>
</center>
</body>
</html>

o wait :S i think it did that cuz iv still got the header and footer set to &quot;&quot; (nothing) in my InternetExplorer page setup. i didnt think it rememberd my header / footer setting... duh

yeah, on careful reading of that html i can now see what its doing (was just a quick pointer post yesterday :).

Its creating an 'artificial' header and footer on each page, so the real header/footer would still come up according to users' browser settings. the THEAD and TFOOT text would also be included on each page though.

Let us know if you do come up with a way of suppressing/changing users' browser header/footer.

Code:
[/ignore][code]CodeHere

i will, im still looking so if i find anything i'll post it emediatly

Unless you use an ActiveX control to do your printing, there is no way of automatically removing the header and the footer for the user by just using the printing capabilities of IE.
I visited another forum lastweek where a similar thread has been going for nearly two years without success.

Hope that helped even though it might be a bit discouraging :(

Rolf Hansen
Cloudy Apple Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back