Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print error running on NT SP6a

Status
Not open for further replies.

BongoB1

Programmer
Jul 26, 2001
US
I have a problem previewing or printing reports from a VFP 6 SP5 application running on a workstation with Windows NT 4 SP6a. When any report is generated and the user tries to preview it (REPORT FORM &RPTRUN NOCONSOLE PREVIEW), they get the "Cannot clear the object in use" error. This same application and data files worked fine on a Windows NT SP5 workstation here at work. I also have another client running this application with NT SP5 without a problem.

I have had the client try different PCs, printers and print drivers. They have tried running this from their network and on a stand alone PC with an attached printer. I have checked MS site for bugs related to NT SP6a but have not found anything yet. Has anyone else run into a similiar problem?

I don't think it's NT 4.0 SP6a - I've been running (and developing) under that almost from the day it was released. I actually installed 6.0 and quickly upgraded to "a" when they made it available a couple weeks later. I'd check on updates for your video and printer drivers.

Rick

I just found that the problem is being caused by the CONFIG.FPW file left in the main folder by the old FoxPro 2.6 version of my application. I created and tested a little simple print program which generated the error "File c:\temp\4811000b.tmp" does not exist." I checked the CONFIG.FPW and found that the path for the line regarding temp files was invalid. Apparently, FoxPro 2.6 did not care but VFP 6.0 does. I edited the path and the application now previews and prints reports without errors. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back