Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print Envelopes Crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonEOlson

Technical User
Oct 3, 2002
US
I have a number of computers on a network all of which have Sidekick 98 installed.
Other than my main computer, whenever I go to "Print Envelopes", Sidekick 98 crashes? My HP LaserJet 4200 PCL 6 printer is shared via a standard TCP/IP port off the main computer through a HP 500X PrintServer.
If I set up a printer to go directly through a USB port or even a "Shared" printer on the network, "Print Envelopes" is fine?
Regular "Print Cards" works just fine regardless of how it is set up.

Dear DonEOlson,
There is a possibility that the Envelope layout files have been corrupted.
If you open the folder
Sidekick98\data
you will see a file called:
skwnv2.skw

re-name the file to: skwnv2OLD.skw
but only do that while Sidekick is NOT running.
Open Sidekick and see if that has altered anything.
The custom settings that you may have made in the Print envelope Dialog will have disappeared as Sidekick will have created a new file called skwnv2.skw that is the same as the originally one when you first installed SIDEKICK98.

If that does not make any difference to the crashing problem then you can re-instate the original files which contains your customised setting by closing Sidekick and then re-naming skwnv2.skw to skwnv2old2.skw and then re-naming skwnv2OLD.skw to skwnv2.skw.

Let us know how you get on with that.
It could be a conflict with the driver for the print server or the settings of the envelope sizes there.

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort!

Jim,
Thanks for your response.
I tried re-naming skwnv2.skw as you suggested. Same "crashing" result.
I should note a couple of other things:
1- The Print, Print Labels, Print Address Book and Print Envelope all work just fine on my main computer that is connected directly to the HP 500 Print Server.
2- Sidekick on all my other network computers will "Print" just fine through the main computer, however they will all crash when I try and open "Print Labels, Print Address Book and Print Envelope". Appears that it does not like to print through a network?
Any suggestions?
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back