Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print Engine Error--On report w/ 2 subreports

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtlantaRed

Programmer
Apr 3, 2002
US
Hi there! I've been searching for a solution to this to no avail so far.....maybe someone here can help.

I'm working w/Crystal Enterprise & Reports version 8.5 using ActiveX viewer w/ Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.

I have a report that contains 2 subreports, in the same detail section, so that when output, the report appears as a 2 columned report

Subreport 1 Subreport 2

AK Arkasas AL Alabama
GA Georgia FL Florida

etc.....

About 50% of the time, when running the report in the ActiveX viewer, I receive a "Print Engine Error" and the subreports never load. The other 50%, the report comes up fine. If I recieve the Print Engine Error, any other reports I try to run get the error "Cannot open SQL Server" until I close my web app and let it sit awhile ;)

I have another report with 9 subreports that always runs fine, so I think it may have something to do with having the 2 reports in the same detail section??? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Terri

I have just learned that everytime a subreport executes another connection to the database is established. Each connection equals an Oracle process, and soon the max number of processes in the Oracle instance is exceeded.

Our report has two linked subreports. If there are 50 records in the detail section, there are 100 connections to the database. What is worse is the connections persist until the idle time is exceeded in the page/cache/report servers - sorry I don't know which server yet.

Crystal Support confirmed that each execution of a subreport is a connection and the connections persist - by design.

It's really a pain but that's how the Enterprise runtime engine works. Eliminating subreports seems the only answer, multi-threaded Oracle might help. Hope this is a help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back