Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print Designer needs help with "Save for Web..." 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sconwell

Technical User
Feb 14, 2007
US
I have multiple images that need to be saved for my client's web site (products for their web catalog). He specified that they should be saved at 300 x 300 pixels, and at 72 resolution - which I did. He then suggested that the images are a bit larger than he'd prefer (they are about 45 - 50K). Typically, the client's jpeg's are "Saved for the web" from PhotoShop at quality 60, which results in images that are about 10-15K. I have never used this feature, since most of my work is for print.

Any suggestions on how to do this? Also, I started to attempt to save an image this way, but could not find anything that would let me specify a "Quality of 60." And should it be in GIF format or JPEG? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you, thank you!!!

Oops! I forgot to mention that I am on PhotoShop CS2 for PC! Thanks!

If you have photos, jpeg is best.

In save for web, if you want to target a particular file size, click on the flyout triangle next to the Preset and pick Optimize to file size.

If you want, you can also pick the quality Medium in the quality button on Save for Web. Alternatively, you cna Save As jpeg (optimized usually best tfor web) and pick the ^ quality on the quality slider (you'll notoice that PS will refer to this as Medium quality.

If you want to get the images down in size before going jpeg, make sure you go from cmyk to rgb. Then dump any color profiles (browsers can't read them). I go for no color management.

If you use a mac, you're better off mimicing a pc monitor for web work since most people will be using a pc. It's availabe in Applications/Applescript/Example scripts/colorsync. If you click on the Install scripts menu in teh Applescript folder you can get to the scripts from teh menu bar - right side.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Thanks for the tips. I was able to change the file size.

However... where you mention to "pick the quality Medium in the quality button..." I am lost. I cannot find the quality button. Maybe I am going 1000-miles-a-minute, and need to slow down!

Also, once I make the changes, do I SAVE? and if I do, it only gives me GIF format options. How do I save it as a JPG? Guess I need to learn a bit more about web images!

Thanks again, for the help!

On the save for web screen you should have Save - cancel -done - Preset and then a dropdown menu with gif showing - click the arrows. Below that you should have a drop down menu for quality. Next to that you dhould have a box for Quality - with a number. clcik on the arrow and select the percentage quality - like 60.

Then save and you'll get a new save window.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back