Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print Cluster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 30, 2002
IE
Has anyone had any problems with print clusters or has any one got advice on installing a print cluster. I was thinking of putting 500 print queues on a 2 node cluster.

We have about 200 printers on a 2 node cluster. Runs OK. Only once we had a problem and Microsoft was working on it for about a month. The solution was simple - use good drivers. So you have to be very careful with the printer drivers.
- Do not install any 3rd party print monitors and printer management software (HP, Lexmark, Epson)
- use only standard TCP/IP ports
- do not mix pure W2K printer drivers (v.3) and "NT 4 or W2K driver" (v.2). Use only one type.
- never try to install HP DeskJet on the server.
- use "corporate" type of the drivers.

Two more tips ... ensure that the print drivers are installed on both nodes per this article.

Also 500 printers may put quite a strain on your cluster unless that's all you are going to use the cluster for. Either way make sure you have bundles of RAM and lots of drive space where your spooler is located. Especially if you are going to use postscript drivers.

When the MSCS failed over to 2nd node, all the resource able to failover but except for the Cluster SQL Network Name (include SQL Server, Agent & Fulltext resource). When check on the Event Viewer, below log display

Event ID:4319
A duplicate name has been detected on the TCP network. The IP address of the machine that sent the message is in the data. Use nbtstat -n in a command window to see which name is in the Conflict state.

Event ID:1052
Cluster Network Name resource 'SQL Network Name(MYFSA01)' cannot be brought online because the name could not be added to the system.

Event ID:1069
Cluster resource 'SQL Network Name(xxxxxx)' failed.

I able to bring the resource online after delete the Dynamic Mapping & Static Mapping for the Virtual SQL name in WINS Server.

I need expertise advice on whether is it adviceable to add Static Mapping in WINS Server for Virtual SQL Name & Cluster Name?

F.Y.I, the MSCS (Active/Passive) is running on W2K Adv Server while WINS is running on Windows NT4 Server.

Thanks in advanced for the advice.

Best Regards
BSLau

Hey dietcokebottle

I was wondering have you managed to install printer clustering with failover my company asked me to do something like this as well but i have no idea how to start or where to start could you help me or someone i will be using windows 2003 server and i need 2 cluster nodes with printer failover so in case one printer fails the job will be redirected to another printer with out user even knowing that printer failed..
can some one please help me or point me in the right directions it would be appreciated heaps please

thanks you very much

can some one help me plz i need to set up clustering print server with failover but i just cant seem to find any good documentation..
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back