Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print Access Report to a Generic Text Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

dewildpup

Technical User
Jan 26, 2007
BB
Hi Guys,

I am trying to print an access report to a generic text printer, but each time I try it gets screwed up and everything is out of alignment, and numbers behind the decimal point does not print.

Is there a way to do this without screwing up the report and without first having to print the report to a text file and then printing it.

If you are missing characters in your printout, I expect your text boxes aren't wide enough. Did you try widen the text boxes? Alignment might be difficult since I expect the generic text printer to use a fixed-space font.

What have you tried in order to trouble-shoot?

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

This again is all part of my payslip which has to print to a generic text printer using us standardfold as the paper size. I stick one of the payslips to a normal 8" x 11" paper and it prints fine everything is in alignment using a laser printer. But when i try using the generic text print which by the way carries perforated paper a feeds continuous every thing is out of alignment.

I tried adjusting the printer properties and so on but still it does not work.

out of alignment"...? Left, right, vertically? Did you try moving controls around? What fonts are you using? Are you using a fixed space font in your report design?

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]

Hi dhookom,

I have been doing some research and it seems like I have to develop some type of specification file in order to print from Micrsoft Access to the Microsoft Generic Text printer.

I am printing with an Okidata Microline 591 (24 Pin Printer).

Have you ever came accross a challenge like this before if not we could both learn something by conquering it.

Regards

dewildpup

I have created reports in the past that were output in a generic text format. I had to do a lot of trial and error to get the text boxes located in the proper spot so the text file was correct.

Duane MS Access MVP

I work with programs in the past which had a specification file which control the font size & location of the information etc. From my research it seem like the same thing.

I will keep you updated.

LeVere

There may be a "specification file" but I am not aware of it and haven't used it. I have opened a text file in code and wrote records/text to it. This was done outside of any reports. You have the ultimate control but it takes a lot of effort.

Duane MS Access MVP

Hi Guys,

After some research i finally solved the problem I used the okidata printer but I used an Epson AP 2250 print driver and the rest is history.

My head is so hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks every-one.

Regards

LeVere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back