Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

print a photo as a halftone

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbouricius

Technical User
Jan 29, 2002
US
I can't seem to generate a decent halftone (screened) photo. I can place a TIFF or JPEG photo into a PageMaker document, which looks fine (with the CTRL + SHIFT button held) on screen, but I can't access the image control from the menu for some reason. Even when I have been able to access the image control on the element menu on previous tries, and adjust the contast, number of lines, etc., the result printed out on my laser printer is poor. Any suggestions appreciated.

go to PRINT
in box, hit SET UP
unclick DEFAULT SETTINGS

choose your settings: I usually go with a 85line/ellipse

I don't seem to have any such choices in >PRINT >SET UP, whether I have it set for a Postscript printer or not. For example, I DO have a choice on the GRAPHICS tab to set "COARSE" and "300 DPI", which works best, but nothing about "lines/elipse." I'm using PageMaker 6.5 for Windows, are you?

I'm using PM7, but the settings I'm referring to are found in Photoshop as well. tell me more about what you're using and maybe we can figure something out

tb,

What sort of files are you using (tiff, jpg, etc.)? What is the images size and resolution (open in Photoshop and select image>size) How are you placing them into PM?

First, I recommend ONLY using EPS or TIF in PM. Sure, other graphics will work, but output results will vary. Also, use 300 DPI resolution, and size the image in Photoshop (or comparable program) to be the size that you want in the end product. Do not use JPG as it is a lossy format and end results will be poor.

Second, use PM's place command to insert an image. DO NOT do a copy and paste. When the box asks you if you want to include the image in the pub, choose NO.

Do any effects (adjusting saturation, contrast, etc) to the image using Photoshop.

Hope this points you inthe right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back