Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print a batch of checks 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcollins

Programmer
Jun 16, 1999
US
I need to print a batch of checks, and also update related data in the database. For example, for each check that is printed, I want to create a record in the checks table. Also, each check may be paying for multiple things, and I want to record the 'Paid with check Number' info.

I am trying to decide on the best approach to take. Should I loop through a recordset and update data for each check as it is being printed, or print all checks in a batch, and then try to update the data afterwards?

Thanks,
Mike

I would write the check number information to your tables and related tables. Then base your report on the check information from your tables.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

Thanks Duane. That sounds like a good approach.

But would there be any way to let the user preview the run, and cancel if they wanted?

Mike

This should be possible. What ever you did to create check numbers, just undo.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

or you could use a temp table. The makers of our accounting software do it this way. Then comit at the end. They have a form and when you print and return to the form it asks if the checks printed correctly. if you click no then the batches are not procesed. I.E. it pretends nothing happend

Thanks powella. That is what I ended up doing and it works well.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back