Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Primary Master keeps showing up as "E" drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Righty

IS-IT--Management
May 24, 2001
US
I have a Cybermax computer with a 600 Mhz K7. It has 163mg Ram. I just loaded Win XP Pro and the drive keeps showing up as the "E" drive, It is the Primary drive with no slave attached. The Secondary Drive has a Zip Drive and a CD-Rom drive that show up as "C " and "D" drives. How can I get the hard drive to show up as "C" dthe way it should. The jumper is not set so it should be a Master or stand alone drive. Any ideas???

Look into the "order" of the components along the cable path....This may be discussed in bcastners link.....

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

What I did 'cause I had the same issue is IF this is a new install, try to use the installation program to first delete the partion in question. Then have it remake it. I had this issue in WIN2K PRO and it worked fine. Not sure how XP installs, but I think it is similar to WIN2K.

Good Luck!

Glenn

If I don't change it, will I have any issues in the future????

Yes you will cause many programs assume that you are loading to the C: drive and when that unexpected thing happens, it will leave you woundering 'WHY'.

Good Luck!

Glenn

If I go into Control Panel, Administrative Tools, and force it to the hard drive to C: will that cause any programs from functioning or will they just follow along and become C:\***\*** ???

If you CAN do as you want I think you will have issues, unfortunately I think the only recourse will be for you to do a fresh install, I know thats not what you want to hear but I may be doing it my self... If you think you can figure it out w/o doing this please reply back.

Thanks

Glenn

Righty

1. You won't have any issues with XP on E: (mine has been on F: for nearly 2 years).

2. If you really do want to put it on C:, best option is to disconnect the zip drive & reinstall.

Wolluf,

Yes issues would arise out of having the boot drive not being 'C'. Its just that they are not too terribly serious and most users can work around them. I say this as a point of fact on my system I just built, I was testing out my new drives and I loaded the O/S onto an "E" partition and one of the first few programs I loaded on to Win2k was reporting an error because it was expecting to see 'C' and didn't. However, if I elected to do so I could have left it like that and corrected the program, however I felt that I did not want to have to babysit an installation woundering if it would be installed to the correct drive.

IMHO

Glenn

What app? I can't remember the last time I installed an app that didn't detect the system drive letter - or one that doesn't let you choose where to install it (via browse) - so I'm guessing its a very old app or it uses an old installation routine. But i do know they exist. My point about no issues was really operational (on most machines, normal users do not spend much if any time installing apps - that's an administration task. Users that do will be perfectly competent to cope with the no C: drive situation) - XP runs as well on F: (or E:) as it does on C:.

But as I also said - if you want it on C: - disconnect zip drive and do a clean install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back