Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Primary keys No longer Primary keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

barra47

Programmer
Dec 25, 2002
AU
I have a table with 3 fields
ClockNumber
Date
Shift

Clocknumber and Date were both Primary keys
to stop a user enetring the same combination of data twice

This has been working great for several months

A user came to me this morning and told me that they had entered the same clock number and date a number of times and the database accepted it.

I went back to the design view of the table to find the primary key designation for each field had been removed.

The data base is a FE / BE with BE on a network server.

Can anyone shed any light on this.
My first reaction is someone had gone in and tampered with the back end.
Could there be another reason for it

Thanks

I can't think of a single reason it would change without someone getting in the backend.

Hi

I have the same issue a couple of times. I cannot put my finger on the cause, but seems to happen after either a dbase compression or a bad value corrupting the dbase necessitating a repair. I am absolutely positive it is not a user-hack - there is not point at the location this occurs.

In common with your issue, the topology is also be/fe and located on a server. They are A2K formats, originally built in A97.

Cheers

s
S

This happens sometimes when a db is compacted and repaired. In a table you will sometimes see a row with #### in it. When this happens, delete the row and check the primary keys on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back