Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Primary key violations when changing Sort order

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBell

Programmer
Aug 9, 2001
US
We are setting up a new server with DOCI sort order and will be moving the data from a Binary server. The source server is SQL 7 then the destination is SQL 2000. Moving the data is not a major problem using BCP but there is the potential to have duplicate records when the case is ignored (i.e. the orginal server would have seperate records for abc & Abc but when we transfer these records to a case insinsitive enviroment they will cause a violation of hte primary key) I would like to determine a way to write a cursor or some other means to report all of these cases.

select upper(mykey), count(*) from mytable
group by upper(mykey)
having count(*) > = 1
order by upper(mykey)

run that for all your tables and you should have a listing of all your keys that are duplicated.

thanks a lot this is a huge step. but I have only one other question I have to review over 32 databases with 900 tables each and each table has several indexes. I can write a cursor to read the tables and the index id's but to use this great piece of code you sent I need to retreive the field names that are included in the index. From looking at sysindexes I do not know what fields are referenced. Do you have any help for me to return the field names ?

I have to run so this is going to be short.

Have a look at the information_schema views.

These look like they would be useful.

INFORMATION_SCHEMA.KEY_COLUMN_USAGE
INFORMATION_SCHEMA.CONSTRAINT_COLUMN_USAGE

You should be able to use data from these to create the select statements and then run those.

If this does not get you going post again I will be on again sometime tonight (late).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back