Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Primary IDE Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevielea

Technical User
Jun 6, 2001
US
I was checking my computer and in the system information its telling me the Primary IDE Controller has a problem. Its saying the device has been disabled in the hardware. How do I fix this? :( Also my CD-Rom is'nt playing any cd's music or others? Could I need a new one? None of the wires are loose?

Would be in CMOS setup. But I would question the message.
See where the hard drive is located. Should be the primary.
The CD problem could be related. Or it could be a bad CD. How about with headphones? Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Ed Fair-
How would I do any of that? Go into the Setup and check? How do I tell which one is disabled? What did you mean by where the hard drive is located? Thanks for the help so far.
Stevie :)

In setup, chipset options probably. Probably time for you to get educated about what is changeable in cmos.
Hard drive is physically located to a port by ribbon cable. IDE channels should be marked on the M/B and documented in papers that came with the computer. CMOS location in setup, as drive 1 to 4. Hardware physical location and CMOS drive selection should be consistent. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

If you can't find a problem in the CMOS it may be being disabled by the OS, assuming that you are running Windows,
try checking Device manager ( under the system icon in Control panel). Right click on each contoller that is visible and select properties.There may be an option at the bottom to disable in a particular hardware profile.Untick this option if it is ticked.
An Ide controller not working and CD drive not working sounds like it is probably caused by the same issue ( as the CD drive is run by an IDE controller)
Hope this helps.
Mrkone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back