Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Primary Active Directory Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottAW

Programmer
Apr 9, 2001
US
The box that was serving as my Primary Domain controller died. I did have AD running on another box. That box, however, is still showing in net accounts as a backup, not the primary. Now since nothing is acting as a "primary", my trust relationships with other domains are down. How can I promote this box to be primary?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I have been digging throught the KB but can't find anything with an answer.

Is this an NT4 problem because it sounds like it....
If you go to server manager under admin tools you can promote to domain controller, it then takes on the role and the sam database where all info is stored it unlocked and can be written to rather that being read only. Mac [pipe]
MCP, MCSE (NT4), MCSE (W2K), CTT, MCT

Glad to be of service.

Actually it is a Win2000 Server, not NT4...

Any other suggestions??

It has the valid NTDS Setting in Sites and Services and is set to hold a Global Catalog... still only reports as a backup (and there is currently no other box running AD right now).

There is a way to promote the w2k server to be the primary holder of the domain. I can't think of it right now, but I'll do some research, and hope somebody helps. It's got something to do with a global setting, but it's been so long, I don't remember off the top of my head.

[hammer] Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955) Physicist and mathematician.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back