Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PRI ? 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

thephonelady

Vendor
Feb 27, 2004
US
Hi,
Anyone ever have a vendor supplying a PRI using a GT5 or a GTE5 switch? According to Verizon none of the PRI switch types on the Magix are compatable.
Thanks

I never have. I have had a lot of trouble with vendors who even can provide the type of switch the Legend can handle, but not be able to do NI1.

Sounds like another one that just thinks they are in the Telephone business.

The vendor is Verizon!! You would think they would be able to match the switch

I agree.

Perhaps you can get to a type of Tier-3 with them, or get the person you are dealing with to get them involved.

I tried the other day with one, and had NO LUCK, but that wass not Verizon.

The GTD5 EAX is a very limited switch. The software was never very robust in the feature department. In fact in California GTE-Verizon would not provisiopn ISDN from any of them. They did all the ISDN from 5ESS switches and used remote carrier to outlying offices to provide ISDN service. They even assigned a new CO code with the appropriate Rate Area in order to have numbers for assignment.

Not knowing what part of GTE-Verizon land you are dealing with, finding a solution could be complicated if DID numbers are involved with the PRI and no other switch is available for service like a 5ESS or DMS10/100.

....JIM....

Thanks for the info Jim. The customer in in Southern CA/LA area and there is DID that will be coming over. They want to port main # & fax's. I guess they will have to keep the T1 they have & not convert it to a PRI.

thephonelady,

Just some thoughts about your customer's dilemma. Is there any possibility of a number or office code change to another Co switch?

My previous experience with GTE has been that they won't even "port" numbers between their own switches. Even though they have the capability and facility to do it! So one option is to number change the office code and, if the same last four digits are available, the customer could at least retain that part of their old numbers for the pilot or DIDs. If not they would have to change all the numbers. Another choice would be to change service providers. Finding a good one is not easy, if that is even an option, other than using Pacific Bell in the "out-of-franchise" program.

One last point of information, the GTD5 EAX was originally manufactured by Automatic Electric. When AE disappeared, AG Communication Systems was formed as a wholly owned subsidiary of Lucent to support the switch for additions and maintenance (A&M) only, and software very limited. The main reason it does not support BRI ISDN is, AE never manufactured a line card for BRI.

....JIM....

Well I turned up the new PRI this AM using DMS100 and it came up. I was going to try all of the switch types to see if one would work because the vendor wanted to take a chance. It seems to be wkg ok so far except for a lot of PRI service audit errors. Verizon has their protocol set for NI2.

The merlin will not work with NI2. SOmetimes they will come up but you can only get calls going one way. or other strange issues.

YES, NI2 and MERLIN Legend/Magix don't work.

Well, it almost works.

The weird thing I ran into the other day, a vendor set up their pipe as NI2, and, believe it or not, we got something like 10 channels that would do out bound and 13 that would do inbound.

Of course, that was not supposed to work, but it did, so we left it alone.

CRAZY

Again, this vendor is one of those companies that "THINKS" they are in the phone business.

Well, when it comes to phones, "THINKIN' WON'T GET IT, YOU GOTTA KNOW !"

I know in a Nortel DMS 100/500 we can set the ni2 parameters to only allow/reserve so many channels for inbound and outbound. But it can be changed to allow all 23 channels for inbound and outbound. It is a simple setting that takes two seconds to change.

Just throwing my two cents in....we had a customer that had XO communications providing a PRI set up as custom. Then they went with another provider, we were never consulted as to the set-up of the PRI. That vendor decided to use NI2. The system worked flawlessly until the Magix had a system reboot due to a car accident taking out a pole. When the system came back up, the B-channels would not initialize, so no incoming and outgoing calls. It was only after a vendor meet and many acts of denying any fault that they checked the protocol. Once it was changed to custom...all was well.

AJ Wiesner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back