Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PRI Outage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom2129

Technical User
Feb 9, 2004
US
Customer has MICS w/r6.1; experiencing intermittent outages with their pri which appear to be carrier related. Question is should the Norstar automatically synch up with the pri once service is re-established by the carrier? This does not happen, the only way to get back up is to reset the DTI card or on most occassions reset the system.
Thanks
Tom

Every time I have seen this happen the system would return to normal functioning after the T1 was restored without taking any action, (ie resetting card or system)

I just went thru this with a BCM 50 where to get it to sync you had to un plug the rj45 cable from the T1 card.
It ended up after months of vender meets changing out cables and cards it was the db level on the circuit was set to zero and the smart jack card was replaced.,

have you tried changing the format of the PRI? (NI1 or NI2) Sometimes one works better than the other for that particular system.

Should be needless to say, but check with the carrier...make sure all parameters are the same on both ends. NI2 works pretty good but sometimes it needs to be set to something else.

The format should match whatever the CO is sending. Of course, just because they SAY they're sending NI2, doesn't mean they are. Is your site 6.1, or 6.1MR?

I have the exact same problem with an MICS. From out of nowhere the circuit will drop and sometimes several times a day. They are on LOGIX. I have swapped out the DTI card and the patch cable to the LOGIX interface. All of my alarms (75,42,43,and 44) all point to the LSP. LOGIX will bounce the D channel and the circuit comes back up. We've had the problem ongoing now for about 4 years. The problem actually began when the customer moved to another suite and the smart jack was relocated. LOGIX extended their own demarc. We have tried to get them to bring in a back-up T1 but they will not budge. The keep pointing at the MICS.

I've had this happen to me...

Loopback at the NIU shows no problem, yet the slips and misframes are driving you crazy?

Clock on the PRI NOT internal... and

There are TWO setting in the NIU.

Jack into the craft port on the NIU and Hyperterm in as VT100.

"REGEN"
and
"LOOPBACK REGEN"

They both should be on. (turn the amp on in both modes!)

One is for straight through, and one is just for loopback testing... "oh we don't see any problem...", "no trouble found..."

Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary...

John

I have had this problem also, It turned out to be the power supply in the MICS

When a PRI is ordered, you request the framing. If you are having an issue with it being NI2 (for example). Put in a request to have it changed to NI1 from the dialtone provider. You can change the KSU accordingly. In the past, we have one CO that always has issues with NI2 on a MICS. NI2 works better with the BCM in our area. (and we are a CLEC and an ILEC). Try changing the framing

Thanks for all the feedback. We continue to have issues and the carrier now claims that the pri goes down as a result of a problem with the Norstar. This ciricuit has been solid for almost years and there have been no recent changes to the Norstar. I did find out that the NVRAM was never replaced during the upgrade to 7.0 and is still at r1. Could this be causing the problem? Hard for me to buy since this problem has only recently stated up.
Thanks
Tom

Could be. It definitely needs to be a rel2 NVRAM. How long ago was the upgrade?

about a year, problems just started recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back