Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PRI networking issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

papabear762

Programmer
Mar 28, 2005
US
Sorry, the previous post would not let me continue...

The customer wants to connect the 2 magix system over fiber. Currently, the systems are sitting side by side for preprogramming and testing. He has fiber modems to do the trans/recieve between building that are across the parking lot from one another. I have had another reputible tech check the pri programming and found that it all looks text book correct. I told the customer it sounded like the wiring or a ds1 mod bad. He replaced the cable that was not syncing with the fiber modems and the red leds went out on the ds1 mods. Next, tried a call between systems and got "fax tone" for ringback. This tells me that the cable between system was bad and the fiber modems may not be correct for the voice application. Do any of you agree, or am I forgetting something?

Thanks,
John

There's another guy in the threads right now that's trying to do the same thing. Are you working with a guy named Alex?

I will be frank here. I think one of the reasons that your original post went largely unanswered is because of the scope of the job. "Help me network two Legend/Magix together". What? In five words or less? I'm kidding of course...I really am. Please don't take offense. Some for-profit newbies drop by once in a while and want the world.

Anyway, I would answer both parts of your question with a strong "No". I've never networked these switches with fiber, but I know the rules of telecom. And none are broken by using fiber optic to carry a DS1 signal. Heck, I've networked Legend/Magix over Cisco wireless before...quite sucessfully. The switch just doesn't care what you use, it wants to see a full or frac T1, period. And a point-to-point fiber optic circuit (with copper transciever/converters at the last leg) is a fine way of doing it.

To me, the real question is whether the network programming has ever worked. As I see it, there are two problems right now. The first is the fiber piece, which we can chase once we establish that your programming is right. I know you had some local cowboy took a look at the programming and give it his blessing, but did you test this programming with a T1 crossover? I would say that's your next step. Get rid of the fiber for a moment, and simulate the circuit with something simpler.

Success! Thanks for the post. I was working with the customer this morning. The cable was bad. The programming was good. One of the fiber "converters" were bad. If I were on site, I could have varified all of this rather quickly. I got the impression that he was reluctant to do the testing I told him was neccessary. I had him make a crossover on a couple of jacks and connect them with factory tested cords. Everything works great. The customer has been explained that the fiber solution "should" work but is not an officially supported application. He has to ensure his fiber equipment is working properly.

Thanks again,
John

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back