Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PRI Circuits and deliverence

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobiledynamics

Technical User
Jun 4, 2008
US
Can anyone shed some light on this....

When you order a PRI from not the LEC direct, is the copper delivered always a regular T1 and from the handoff from the CO, the carrier is responsible for the PRI from their switch back to the handoff.

OR, will a PRI T1 be delivered all the way to the smartjak, even though it is not with the LEC itself.

In the event of troubleshooting, I'm trying to understand when a vendor meet is requested, OR when the lec comes out to verify the PRI is good, and if he has a PRI tester with him, is it always the case and responsibility for him to check the circuit with a PRI tester. OR it can go both ways, depending if the carrier has ordered with the LEC a T1 or a PRI..

It can be any of the above depending upon how it was ordered and what CLEC you are dealing with. The LEC will bring it to the building's dmarc/smart jack in the building. This could be in the basement, a common telco room on the floor, etc. Then the CLEC may extend the circuit into your suite's dmarc, have you responsible for bringing it in, or utlilize the LEC to do so. Then they'll install their premise equipment in your suite to connect to the extension. It can be a pain when issues do arise to determine where the fault is and who is responsible for the fault.

The actual pipe for a T1 or PRI is a DS1. The term "T1" and "DS1" are often used interchangeably, but it isn't quite accurate. The LEC will deliver a DS1 pipe from the smartjack at the customer end to the handoff point with the CLEC. Since the circuit is actually rented by the CLEC, if it breaks, you generally call the CLEC. If it looks to them like a pipe issue, they will place a repair order with the LEC. When the LEC tests, they will generally only fire up their T-Berd as a courtesy - since they are only providing a pipe, not what runs in it...
As Telecomboy states, extending beyond the smartjack to your suite is usually done by a party other than the LEC.
Mike

More details here.

Lec was on premise after reporting T down. I assume wet pairs...as the PRI was down but overnight it resolved itself. When they were here in the morning, all was well. Lec was on premise to diagnose the *down PRI*. That was what their ticket was for.

However, that morning, when the PRI was up......we kept on dropping D channel. So the LEC was on premise, he states the loop is up and as long as the loop was up, they were closing the ticket.

Fast forward, many phone calls to the CLEC, they going in the switches, reset, etc.....and they advising the T was good per the earlier morning LEC visit, and us telling them we changed the PRI card, etc.....at the end of the day, our D channel kept on locking and we resorted to a Vendor meet. Vendor meet in which I said, have the LEC come out, with a PRI tester, and if it's they can make a phone call off the circuit, then we will start swapping out more hardware.

Lo and behold, the issue resolves itself over the weekend. LEC is here, he tells me it's good and from what we have is a T1 line and NOT a PRI. So even if he had a PRI tester, the line with the carrier is not ordered as a PRI, so he wouldn't be do any testing with one, even if he had one. No changes in the CO nor did he swap the card on the smart jack.

Hence, the question today....
I'm trying to determine whether the fault was with the LEC or the carrier. From what it sounds like, per the LEC who said it's just a straight T1, then it all points back to the carrier....

The LEC typically provides the physical lines/copper pairs and that is all. Anything technical is typically the carrier/provider that is responsible.

Not always, but usually.

Kyle Holladay / IPOfficeHelp.com
ACSS/ACIS/APSS Avaya SME Communications
APDS Avaya Data
MCP/MCTS Exchange 2007/2010
Adtran ATSA, Aruba ACMA

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it." - Henry Ford

-Not specific to IP Office (but relates to T1/PRI circuits)
True Story: Client (Hospital) had a circuit that had run fine for years. They upgrade (+/_ 12yrs ago) from an old Horizon to a Definity. Upgrade happened in late winter. Early spring and the circuit started to occasionally drop out of service. System hardware checks all ok, but due to it being a hospital, replaced associated boards and power supply. Also, referred them to have the circuit checked by LEC.
NOTE – The LEC was located across the street within 60 yards door to door.
About a month into spring and the circuit started going hard down a couple of times a week, usually around 10am or 6pm. And also when the wind picked up…
After a couple of Vendor meets (always when the circuit had settled out and was working), the LEC always pointed to the System.
Finally one evening, I got a page and the circuit had failed again and the Hospital had enough. They called me out, called the LEC out while the system was down. While the circuit was down, I had the LEC tech open up the circuit and take a Line Measurement…. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 3600’ is what he measured, to their building across the street about 180’ away.
Basically, they bridge tapped the circuit making a circle around town. When the temp changed, it changed the length of the cable. When the wind blew, it changed the length of the cable. That’s an awful lot of cable for such a short distance.
LEC that night cut several of the taps out to reduce the cable distance and get the circuit up. Then they sent out a wiring crew and installed a dedicated cable between the buildings as a final resolution.
When the client called a meeting between my group and the LEC as a follow up, they asked my team what we were going to do to insure they didn’t have the problem again. I couldn’t help but laugh and bill them for wasting my time when the LEC was the failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back