Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PRI Circuit Cost? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawks

IS-IT--Management
Oct 9, 2002
US
That time to shop around again. I have 6 PRI's comming into the building at a cost of around $325 per circuit. Just got a call the oether day from a guy who said he is selling for a Teir 1 provider and said he could get me down to $50 per circuit. I'm in the Tampa area I just want to knwo before I call this guy has anyone heard of a PRI at that low of a cost?

Not heard of anything that cheap for T-1 or PRI. I wonder if he is selling the connection, then adding on for channels, d channel, usage etc. I think I would be very wary of this one, unless he can give a clear summary of all charges and services available, then look around for others that may have used his services, someone you can veryify as genuine!

Not with usage, unless they're selling a virtual PRI service which is just running SIP from an Adtran or something like that.

Correct the usage charges are seperate, my thing is I've never seen the circuit charge that cheap even with VIoP to PRI it's been $250 to $300.

without usage that is alot ...

we sell a sip pri and the circuit alone is $20... then you add call paths minutes and dids....

ddcommllc.com
Avaya/Toshiba/SyntelSolutions

ACIS

"Will work for stars

phoneguy, sorry you are correct I think that is what this is. I'll be meeting with them next Tuesday.

The whole SIP PRI/virtual PRI thing is really annoying to me for some reason. A PRI has always meant one particular thing -- it's a telco circuit that provides 23+1 channels, has its own features and characteristics, and was a known quantity. Everyone in the biz liked PRIs because of their extreme reliability. Sure, maybe a bit expensive, but so be it.

Now, the marketing people got ahold of the term and we get sales people confusing customers (like some of my prior bosses [ponder] ), with salespeople telling them "No, this is exactly the same as the PRI you have now, it's just 75% cheaper!!" Then I have to go in and explain that it is NOT exactly the same thing, why it's different, and that salesmen are liars. If the powers that be want to transition to SIP (trunks, whatever) then so be it, let's do it right, but hucksters throwing around untrue claims just to leverage a familiar term in the marketplace really grinds my gears.

I'm probably getting old and crusty.

At the end of the day the device is a pri... Just instead of running it over a t1 we can run it over your cable. It is still 23 channels+1 , the difference is if you aren't using all those Channels you don't have to pay for them.

Obviously a true pri or pots lines is a little more reliable, but we have found that for a third of the cost people usually have no problem going from 99.999% uptime to 99.199% uptime lol

ddcommllc.com

ACIS

"Will work for stars

No, it is not. Just tell your customers the truth, they'll be okay with it.

A PRI, by definition, runs over a T1 type circuit from the smartjack in my building to the CO. Now, your offering may emulate a PRI circuit in terms of how my gateway router process calls and signalling, but that does not make it a PRI.

(I'm not chewing you out in particularly phoneguy -- it's just a major pet peeve of mine when vendors obfuscate the truth, pretending they're doing me a favor by isolating me from what they're really selling.)

i have never lied about what we sell, all of our customers know what it is, sip trunks that are converted to a pri. But at the end of the day most circuits out there now are just that.

ddcommllc.com

ACIS

"Will work for stars

you wouldnt happen to know lvnortel would you?

ddcommllc.com

ACIS

"Will work for stars

A PRI, by definition, runs over a T1 type circuit
Or a E1 for those of us outside USA / Japan and like our 30 channels

:)

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Ok I got some more information, it is a true PRI/TDM circuit not SIP. They are going to charge $900 for the DS3 circuit we have and then $50 for each T1/PRI that runs through that DS3. I told them to give it to me in writing because that seems really inexpensive to me. What do any of you think?

Now for the SIP is the same as PRI debate that some sales people throw out there. The answer is although they may act the same they are not the same.
One thing is ISDN is a monitored and dedicated circuit and SIP is normally best effort across the internet.

Deploying a successful trunking solution for your business can seem difficult and sales engineers at less than reputable firms may promise the world, but there are no shortcuts in life, and the ISDN PRI has been the gold standard for over 20 years for a reason. That is not to say that SIP over a private data circuit cannot be an excellent choice as well, but if your business has little room for call quality issues, avoid SIP trunking over best effort networks or the internet at all costs.

Below is also some pretty good information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back