Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PRI calls all droping simulataneously (IP Office 500 (v2) with 96xx phones) 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grapestew

IS-IT--Management
Jan 16, 2014
US
I figured I would give this forum a shot. I have a PRI through Windstream. We have done loop back tests and confirmed there are no issues with the PRI. Inbound/outbound calls will all get dropped simultaneously about 1-2 min in cycles. The message on the phone comes up "unobtainable" with a busy tone.

I have replaced the IP office 500v2 chassis, VRM/PRI card, and even defaulted the system and programmed IP 96xx phone with the PRI and licensing, and also reverted back from 9.0 to 8.1 software. Basically put in a brand new system and I still get the same issue. This system is fairly new and worked for about a month. They come in on a Monday and they have these symptoms.

Here's the kicker, the old NEC system we replaced works fine when we move over the PRI. I have tried phone to phone internal calling to eliminate our POE switch which works fine. Internally calls do not drop. I am at a lost. I have confirmed settings with the provider, Jenne support is clueless, so I have come here in the slim chance that possibly someone else has experienced this.

Any feedback is welcome!

Is the IPO connected to the Windstream PRI handoff directly with a patch? Or is the Windstream gear in another location and extended to IPO? If the connection is extended, perhaps there's a loose connection/pin. If the failure is a very consistent cycle, the issue most likely lies with the provider.

Is the IPO connected to the Windstream PRI handoff directly with a patch? Or is the Windstream gear in another location and extended to IPO? If the connection is extended, perhaps there's a loose connection/pin. If the failure is a very consistent cycle, the issue most likely lies with the provider.

ZCom, The IPO is connected directly from the Handoff. It's actually Verizons equipment that is leased to Windstream. I'm thinking provider too but what throws me off from that theory is the fact that when I hook up their old NEC phone system it is stable. Like I said I have replaced all my equipment and started from scratch. Same issue.

Grapestew, start up a trace (filter on ISDN events of course) & check clocking settings (should be set to 'Network'). Be sure that Windstream is providing clocking--I do recall being asked "would you like us to provide clock" on some Windstream turn-ups.

Yea they verified all of our settings.

just because they did a loop back does not mean that the PRI circuit is ok, it could be errored seconds slips etc... the fact that it works great on your old system and also the face that you have replaced everything proves to me to be a provider problem.

acss sme acis sme acss cm 5.2.1 acss cm and cmm acss aura messaging.

Thanks for your input Joe. I am thinking the same thing.

Does the IPO show any alarms in SSA when it occurs?

YELLOW ALARM indicates that the system has been instructed by the far end that there is an issue with communication. If the issue were local the alarm state would be RED but not because a yellow alarm must be received. Also it is not possible to have both a red and yellow alarm state on the same piece of equipment in that you cannot receive the instruction to enter yellow state if you are in a red state

Basically it's them :)

Well I have been moving the PRI physically from the system which is probably the red. Yellow I get when the channels dump.

Red means it's your issue, when you're in red the system tells the far end to go yellow, So when you unplugged this makes sense. So if you are in yellow the far end has an issue, the issue is theirs, they sent the signal to activate the yellow alarm on your kit :)

Interesting. Now it's just convincing them of this.

This is how it works in full:

RED ALARM indicates corruption, loss of signal or inability to frame reliably. Essentially this means that the local equipment cannot properly see the far end. In this case the local system will transmit a yellow alarm while in a red alarm state.

YELLOW ALARM indicates that the system has been instructed by the far end that there is an issue with communication. If the issue were local the alarm state would be RED but not because a yellow alarm must be received. Also it is not possible to have both a red and yellow alarm state on the same piece of equipment in that you cannot receive the instruction to enter yellow state if you are in a red state.

BLUE ALARM indicates that there is no communication on the path so the equipment will transmit all 1s in the framing time slots to maintain the signal. When one end is in blue alarm the other end will be in a red alarm and as a result the end in a red alarm will transmit a request for the other end to enter a yellow alarm.

Thanks guys. The ball is now in the court of Windstrem/Verizon. They did a head to head test and they started seeing errors on the remote end. So the issue lies somewhere between two Verizon CO's.... Thanks for all the feedback!

Hi all,

I have encountered this issue before and it was solved. Issue was on ISP side.
Kindly asked them to verify and check the channels of the PRI they provided.
PRI channels may not be matching with the IPO configuration. Hope this may help.

Bloodyroots, They have to rebuild the circuit within their switch. Let me tell you, it was like pulling teeth to get to this point. They did not want to own up to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back