Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PRI cabling

Status
Not open for further replies.

joejack84

IS-IT--Management
Apr 26, 2010
US
Hello,
Question for you cable gurus out there. Currently, we have 2 1.5M bonded T1's coming into our CPE, then 1 T1 cable that runs into our phone system. We are going to be moving our phone system out of the water heater room that it is in now, into our data center.

Would I be better off extending our DeMarcs or leaving the CPE where it is now and running the one T1 cable?

I would just extend the T1. are the 2 bonded T's feeding your equiptment (CPE) or your telco providers equiptment?

Bonded T1's and CPE usually means that you have an IAD provided by a CLEC. Is it providing Internet access as well? If so, where is that hand off, in the water heater room or the data center? If the CPE is owned by the CLEC, cable it to move the CPE, including the Ethernet and the T1 from the CPE to your switch, then involve the CLEC with moving the equipment.

TouchToneTommy is correct. The 2 T1's go to an IAD (which is owned by us, bought from the Telco), from there we have a T1 cable going to our Norstar system and an ethernet cable going to our data room into our firewall. The internet is used for backup purpose as well hosting a website and FTP.

I am unfamiliar with what a CLEC is though.

I would recommend moving everything you own into a different room.

bubbaaa, that is kind of what I was thinking, just wanted to make sure it was the best route.

I have read a lot about extending dmarcs (mostly on here) and was wondering if it would be OK to use 2x2 or 2x3 pair cable for the T1s as long as they are individually shielded.

joejack84,

You got the right idea with the shielded DS1 cabling. Make sure things are properly bonded/grounded in the process.

....JIM....

yep, sounds like your on the right track. Should have no issues.

Anyone have goods links where I can buy the proper grounding items? My only grounding experience is with wireless antennae and coax.

Some items may be site specific, meaning it depends on the equipment being used, type of termination: modular or DB15 or ? Is the equipment mounted in a rack?

You want to follow the NEC article 800 and related sections to keep everything safe and proper.

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back