Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PRI and POTS on UCX50

Status
Not open for further replies.

atdjr123

Technical User
Mar 12, 2012
US
I have a demo coming up and the client has a PRI circuit and 4 POTS lines. I haven't found anything related to configuring the ucx for a pri or pots lines. Is there somewhere that I can find that documentation???

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.
have a great day and a better tomorrow

Ok, so if there is no documentation has anyone configured the ucx50 for PRI and or POTS lines???

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

What method are you planning on using?

You can program them with the plug-in cards, which is incredibly easy, or you have to use external Gateways.

Using on-board hardware for PRI, you just create a Dahdi trunk and designate it g0 (default is group 0), then you just create inbound routes for the DID's coming in on the PRI. Very similar to programming target lines on a BCM. If you were to order the system with a card, it comes already pre-programmed with the trunk. The only thing you have to worry about is whether your provider is running NI-1 or NI-2. The UCx comes defaulted to NI-2, so you might have to change it. You do that using the Configuration File editor under the Tools menu. Click on the arrow in the upper left corner and another menu shows itself. Click on the editor and look for the dhadi-channels.conf file (i think it's about halfway down on page 2) and modify the switch type if necessary (NI-1 is actually dms100). To look at or change the framing and coding parametrs etc, go to System>Hardware Detector. If you have a pri card, you'll see all the channels listed there and there will two links highlighted in blue. Just open them up and you'll see what you can mess with.

If you have a 4 or 8 port analog card, you program them using the PSTN trunk DIDs. It's so easy, all you have to be able to do is be able to read. You assign them a "DID" number and program inbound routes in the normal manner.

If using external gateways, they would be programmed as SIP trunks and the configuration would be dependent on the manufacturer but in most cases, they have pre-set configurations for Asterisk based systems and most work pretty well.

To use the on-board cards, you will need to be using the UCx50e box. The old original appliances can't accommodate them.

POTS and PRI trunks work GREAT on UCx. We have customer with 2 PRI circuits and some analog trunks as backups. TOTALLY transparent usage to the end user, and like Telcodog said, easy to set up with an FXO Gateway or internal card.

One Target Line can have more than one appearance on an extension for the main number on the PRI. How does that work with the UCX?? I won't be using DID's routed to extensions. The receptionist has Target Line 156 w/ multiple appearances then either parks or transfers calls. I'm guessing she would have 5 Line Buttons to accommodate incoming calls...

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back