Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Previous Thread Discussing Processor Comparison 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
Was there a previous thread (or maybe it was web site I had found but can no longer locate) that allowed you to compare different processors?

The key: it allowed comparing a Celeron XYZ to an Athlon XP ABC - you know, different families within Intel and even across manufacturers.

Any links either on T.T. or on the interwebz???

Well there's more info than you can eat on the Wikipedia pages for Celeron and Athlon XP CPUs (use the search term 'list of {processor name}' to find other types) but they're on different pages so it's not easy to compare. Tom's hardware have several charts comparing processors but they compare benchmark performance rather than features.

Between the two sites you should be able to compare most things with a bit of work.

Regards

Nelviticus

Yeah, but no. I wanted a list of processors where I could check a box next to them and have a head to head type of comparison as the result.

I swear I saw this somewhere. So you could tell the performance difference between a Pentium 4 2.2GHz and a Celeron 2.93GHz as an example.

I think you can do that with the Tom's Hardware charts, although each chart only lists the CPUs that you could buy when the chart was produced - so you can't select really old CPUs on the newer charts or modern CPUs on the older charts for example.

Nelviticus

Maybe I was dreaming. BBB - that is an interesting site but not the one I had dreamed I saw.

It was more like the Intel site but it also included older stuff and AMD products and it had boxes to check next to the processors.

Well, I guess it's like asking for a needle in the internet hay stack. I wanted it because someone asked me if they should go with a used X vs. Y processor.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

No checkboxes, but here's a complete list:

At Tom's Hardware, you do have the option to checkmark specific CPUs and narrow down the comparison. You have to first select the benchmark and then you'll see what I'm talking about:

Carl

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test
a man's character, give him power.
" - Abraham Lincoln
[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Thanks for all responses. Looks like I probably mixed and matched the web sites in my mind to come up with a false memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back