Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Previewing images in windows 98 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 1999
CA
Hey everyone,
When viewing a folder as a web page, i can no longer click on a JPG or GIF and have the image preview in the left column. I can preview BMPs and HTM but not JPG or GIF. It just stopped working and I haven't been able to get it back. I've tried removing the file association and then re-establishing it but it didn't work. Any ideas?

Warning: This is a registry fix. Prudence dictates backing up your registry.

Open Notepad/WordPad and copy the following into it:
----------------copy text below this line
REGEDIT4

;; When Explorer stops displaying thumbnails for JPEG and GIF images, this will fix the problem.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
@="{7376D660-C583-11d0-A3A5-00C04FD706EC}"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.gif\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
@="{3F30C968-480A-4C6C-862D-EFC0897BB84B}"
-----------------copy text above this line

Save the file as "ThumbFix.reg", then double-click on its icon. That should fix the problem. It happens to me occasionally, but I've never figured out why.

Tried it and it worked! Still can't preview gif files but i can view jpg files which is mainly what i wanted. Not to concerned about the gifs not working. I have a gif animation program registered to open gif files, this may have something to do with it. Thanks RickSpr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back