Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

preventing users from changing the default printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottdfs

Technical User
Apr 4, 2002
US
we are set up on a workgroup, not on a domain. i have several printers installed on many win2k professional computers, and my boss wants to set things so no one can change the default printer. i went to the mmc and created a group policy snap in that prevents users from adding or deleting printers, but not sure how to keep them from changing which printer is the default. i appreciate any assistance.

I beleive that by setting the users up as non-admin users would be the first step. Then you should be able to restrict access to areas of the Desktop, such as Printers. They would receive a notice that they need Administration rights to makes changes.

hanyawk,

all of the users are set up as power users, or users. what is the simplest way to restrict access to say, the printers folder?
thanx for your help

Feel safe using regedt32?
Open printers and faxes then set the printer you want to use as the default. Open regedit and find the following entry. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows. Look in the window on the right for a binary data entry labeled Device. This will have the name of the default printer as the value. Left click on the entry and then select edit from the menu. Select permissions. Select advanced and then select the account you want to restrict from changing the default printer. You will need to allow read control and deny set value. Uncheck everything else. Exit out of the registry. Thats it. Now if the user you restricted tries to set a new default nothing will happen. Important - in your group policy disable the registry editor os someone can edit your entries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back