Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Preventing internet access through VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

moleproductions

Programmer
Oct 23, 2003
GB
I've been trying to get around this problem for around 8 months, and have finally managed it.

The problem: when working at home I connect through my broadband internet connection to the VPN in the office. I can access all my files, remote desktop etc. However, once I connect to the VPN, all internet traffic is channelled down the VPN connection - including email, web browsing, file downloads. I'm guessing that I was downloading it through the router in the office, and then via the VPN to my machine. This made it very slow indeed. More like 56K modem than 1Mb broadband.

However, today after much searching on Google and similar search engines, I found the solution after visiting these websites:

[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.chicagotech.net/routingissuesonvpn.htm[/url]
and
[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.noc.ucf.edu/VPN/default_gw.htm[/url]

(While I'm not a student, I've found Univesity and College websites to be the best source of PC networking help, since it seems everyone wants to work remotely!)

The solution: un-tick the "[tt]Use default gateway on remote network[/tt]" in the advanced TCP/IP properties of your VPN connection settings and it means the VPN connection is used for VPN access and internet access is channelled through your own ISP.

I hope this is helpful to some other poor person who has been suffering from slow internet access at home!

Tim

As a side note to this, this will not work for all users. This is based on a VPN by VPN basis and on what has been specified by the technical staff at your location.

It is possible for them to disable you having any access to the internet while connected to the VPN.

Aquias,

Thanks for your follow-up. The VPN in our office is set-up using the default settings of the VPN router (I installed and configured it) so while I agree that if there are technical staff around to mess with these things then yes - it could be a problem, but on the whole this would be a good place to start for people setting up and running their own VPNs.

Thanks again,
Tim

If you want some unsolicitated advice, I would look at disabling the ability to access the web while connected to your VPN.

My reason for this is security. If you have the ability to be connected to your VPN and utilizing a P2P program (just an example), if that connection is followed backwards you've just compromised your work environment.

Aquias, I'd like to second your opinion.
Split tunneling is indeed very very dangerous... in fact, some VPN solutions specifically have options to disable split tunneling... a hacker could gain access to your computer and use the activated vpn tunnel to hack into your office at the same time...

--------------------------------------------------------------------
How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back