Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Preventing incoming mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

crossface

Programmer
Nov 30, 2002
US
Is there a way for a user to allow only internal mail from our company. Our employees are required to use GW for internal mail. Many are frustrated with all the spam. A soulition would be allow them to only receive mail from within our organization.

Hi there.
Groupwise 6.5 has good anti-spam features.
One that may be relevant to your problem is the ability to block all messages that didn't come from somebody in your address book.

------------
Bill
Consultant / Network Engineer
CNE, CCNA

I misspoke.
The incoming messages don't get blocked, but are sent to the junk mail folder, where they can be deleted automatically. Effectively, though, your users won't "see" the junk mail.

------------
Bill
Consultant / Network Engineer
CNE, CCNA

I have a Groupwise 6 system... what I did was deny certain domains. Look in the details of the GWIA. You can deny a sender, for example sender@spammingdomain.com or an entire doamin *@spammingdomain.com

The sender will receive an email explaining that the message was rejected...

You can set up a rule to do this. If you set a condition of view name = internet and an action of delete or move to a folder you can filter out all external email. It's a bit extreme though, and I'd recommend checking out spam filters (e.g.
John

Check out and look at GEE Whiz v1.3.1
it is just released in a new version now and can be downloaded for a 30 day free trial. It is an Anti-Virus/Anti-Spam gateway thst supports SpamAssassin rules and RBL lists and can also filter on Content words. I've been using it for the last 6 months and it has been updated for bug fixes and new features quite regularly. It is very flexable and with the proper setup will eliminate most of the unwanted Junk Mail.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back