Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

preventing Impromptu from re-querying db every time ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

steever

MIS
Mar 25, 2003
CA
Hi,

I have a HUGE impromptu report - spanning over 300 pages.
I have a problem about 3/4 of the way through the report.
My problem is, as i try to scroll through to see this particular section of the report, Impromptu requeries the database about every 8 or so pages. The requerying takes about a minute every time, so it would take me an hour just to see the data on this section of the report. Is there a way to see the data, as it would display on the report, without having to go through the 'wait'.

I've heard there's a way to do it through Print Preview somehow, but I couldn't get it to go.

Thx all !!

S

I believe the control you are looking for is "Retrieve on the required rows" flag. Unchecking this should bring all the rows to the machine that is running impromptu.
*The problem is that will still take hours to run the report and probably will kill your computer and the network in between.

What you probably want to do define a more specific filter for your report.

-or -

you can create an aggregate "table" or hotfile on the impromptu side or database level.

If you build a macro to open and run the report,and insert .retrieveall in the macro, it will go ahead and get all the rows, but as gasman009 has stated, it will be very hard on the PC and network.
We installed Impromptu onto the Database server and used VNC to run large reports that require lots of detail on the same server as the Database, and we didnt kill the network,and the report ran in a quarter of the time.

Why dont you export the data in excel and do the analysis

:)

Vish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back