Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Preventing Excel screen action during a VBA routine

Status
Not open for further replies.

popper

Programmer
Dec 19, 2002
AU
Hi

I have written some VBA code which occasionally needs to sort data in a hidden worksheet. I find that I need to unhide the sheet before the sort can occur and then rehide it. The sort action causes the screen to flicker and jump around where most of the rest of the routine is pretty smooth. Is there a way of inhibiting all this disctracting movement. I recall in the old days there was a Lotus macro command that will stifle the action during the running of a macro. Is there an equivalent in Excel? I would appreciate any suggestions that would alleviate this problem.

With thanks

1. stop using ActiveSheet

2. Application.ScreenUpdating = False

3. be really careful

mr s. <;)

Application.ScreenUpdating Property
True if screen updating is turned on. Read/write Boolean

popper,

It is NOT necessary to unhide your sheet. It is your code that has incorrect range references...
Code:
[b]
    Sheets("HiddenSheet").[/b]Range("A1").Sort _
        Key1:=[b]Sheets("HiddenSheet").[/b]Range("A2"), Order1:=xlAscending, _
            Header:=xlYes, _
            OrderCustom:=1, _
            MatchCase:=False, _
            Orientation:=xlTopToBottom, _
            DataOption1:=xlSortNormal

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Have you heard that the roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was...
Sir Cumference![tongue][/sub]

I used Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
with a frm showing 'workng please wait'

when the process is complete hide the frm and turn the calculation back on.

Thank you all. The screenupdating property worked fine. The "hiddensheet" solution is what I first tried without success. Perhaps I should try again.

The manual calculation option will be valuable when the system is actually executing length and complex spreadsheet formulae.

Three great responses. Thanks again.

P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back