Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Preventing Drill on a Subreport object

Status
Not open for further replies.

betty2

Programmer
Oct 17, 2002
CA
Hi all!

I'm using CR 8.5, and delivering to users via CE. Does anyone have a good solution to prevent a user from drilling on a subreport object?

My report contains a subreport in the report footer. When the user floats their cursor over it, the cursor changes to a magnifying glass (i.e. drill-down); they double-click, & a new preview tab opens showing just the subreport. This new tab doesn't "add value" and in fact confuses the user (who might wonder where the top of the report has gone).

So, I'd like to prevent the user from being able to drill on the subreport. One solution is to put a text box on top of the subreport (because you can't drill on a text constant), but since the subreport is of variable length, this isn't practical. Any better solutions??

Thanks!
Betty

Draw a rectangle over the subreport making sure that it extends into the sections above and below the section containing the subreport. As the section expands with the sub-report, so will the rectangle. If you set the rectangle with no fill and no borders, the appearance of the report will be unaltered.

jontvr,

Thanks so much for the suggestion. I tried using "Insert Box" to draw a rectangle (I hope that's what you meant?)... the rectangle does expand with the subreport, but the rectangle doesn't prevent me from drilling on whatever's inside it. Boxes don't have many settings. Is this the feature you meant? (I hope I'm missing something, cuz your idea sounds good!)

I tried extending my existing text object over the previous and following sections, but text objects don't allow that. Too bad!

Betty

I think you were almost there, with extending your existing text object. Nothing can cross section boundries, of course. But you could creat a new text object in each section, keep it blank and extend it to cover the subreport in that section. This stops clock-down--for you as well as the users, you'll need to move the text object to work on the subreport for future changes.

Madawc Williams
East Anglia, Great Britain

Hi Madawc..
yes, that's what I tried.
The snag is that the text object has a finite size, whereas the subreport can grow, depending how many detail lines there are. The text object prevents drill-down only for that part of the subreport it covers; if the subreport is longer, the user can drill on the exposed portion.
Betty

p.s. At one time I did have the issue you describe of having to move the text object to edit the subreport, but I resolved that by inserting another section, placing the text object there, and setting the subreport's section to "underlay".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back