Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Preventing caching

Status
Not open for further replies.

seamonkey

Programmer
Feb 11, 2003
GB
I am developing a customised DHTML viewer over a corporate intranet and am having numerous problems with caching. All reports are on-demand.

I have set up a print button that actually opens up an export to pdf format window. However, if a user is looking at the same report with different paramaters the previous results are always shown! This is because the system is caching the export for each report on the users' hard drive.

I have the same problem when simply viewing reports. As they are on-demand, sometimes a user will run a report, make a change to the database and then re-run the report to check the results. However, as the pages are cached they never see their updates coming through!

Does anyone know a way around this?

Preferrably, by overiding the cache at certain times but if I can't do that then by turning off cacheing altogether.

Thanks.

Have you checked the Crystal Knowledge base? - I have seen quite a few articales on this one before.

Thanks for the response Davenz.

I have tried the knowledge base but their solution is to use the INIT and CONNECT commands in the url. eg.
However, as I am making life difficult for myself and I'm using a customised interface I have to call the report from within a csp page like this:

'Load the viewer with the Report ID
response.write &quot;<frame name='CrystalViewerPreview' src='viewrpt.cwr?&quot; & _
&quot;cmd=preview_page&incomplete_page_count=1&viewer=html_frame& &quot; & _
&quot;vfmt=html_frame&page=1&brch=&drillname=&subrpt=&id=&quot; & ReportID &
Session(&quot;CurParamaters&quot;) & &quot;&APSToken=&quot; & APSToken & &quot;'>&quot;

I have tried inserting :connect into this statement but it has no effect.

I tell I lie, I have now kind of got to work with the following:

response.write &quot;<frame name='CrystalViewerPreview' src='viewrpt.cwr?&quot; & _
&quot;cmd=preview_page&&quot; & _
&quot;viewer=html_frame& &quot; & _
&quot;vfmt=html_frame&&quot; &_
&quot;init=html_frame:connect&&quot; & _
&quot;id=&quot; & ReportID & Session(&quot;CurParamaters&quot;) &_
&quot;&APSToken=&quot; & APSToken & &quot;'>&quot;

This gives my updated data, HOWEVER, it opens it up in the default viewer within my custom viewer. This means I now have two toolbars!

Ones step up and two steps back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back