Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Preventing Accidental Moves in Windows Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kactus

MIS
Jul 1, 2001
AU
Hey guys,

Does anyone know of a way to prevent a user from accidentally dragging and dropping (and therefore losing) a folder in Windows Explorer? Some of my colleagues are at their wit's end and about to hack the registry to change the number of pixels the mouse must move before a move is activated by changing:
Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\DragHeight and 
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\DragWidth
I'm all for user education, myself, but these guys seem to have very little faith in their people. Is there a way of forcing a confirm message to appear every time you move a file or folder? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for any assistance anyone can offer.
Kactus

Welcome to the world of Customer Support.

I have found that standing over a user with a baseball bat and continually repeating "don't do that" the most effective way of preventing mistakes.

The only way that I can think of to prevent drag&drop errors is to give only read & execute permissions on the entire C:\ drive. And that's usually impractical.

If there is a sure solution to preventing those types of mistakes without sacrificing usability of the PC, I don't know of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back