Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prevent Zip File Warnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxhugen

Programmer
May 25, 2004
AU
I recently bought a new PC with WinXP Pro. When I try to open a zipped file on my LAN, I get a warning "This page has an unspecified potential security risk. Would you like to continue?".

I've researched this, and tried:

1. Check reg key: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\1\180D
Apparently the value should be 0 - it was.

2. Internet Options > Security > Local Intranet
Set "Automatically Detect Intranet" to Off.
I unchecked this, and also unchecked the 3 checkboxes below it.

3. Internet Options > Security > Local Intranet > Custom Level
Set Misc > "Launching applications and unsafe files" to Enable.
It was already set to Enable.

From other posts, it seems the above worked for others, but it's not working for me. Can anyone suggest what else I should try pls?

MTIA

Max Hugen
Australia

G'day Linney,

That blog at jsware was a beauty... he's as enamoured of Microsoft as I am! Does that make me a MicroPhobe?

I'll keep trying with the Googling...

Cheers, max

FWIW, I tried setting Reg values obtained from jsware's site, I tried uninstalling IE7... didn't help.

Finally found that if I went to Internet Properties > Security > Local Intranet > Sites > Advanced, and entered the pc's name in 'Add this website to the zone', the problem was finally fixed.

What a PITA!

Max Hugen
Australia

Can you clear up exactly what you meant (and typed) by this comment "entered the pc's name in 'Add this website to the zone', the problem was finally fixed"?

Was it just the name of a PC, or an \\Address, or an IP Address?

It was the name of the pc (he-data) on the LAN where the files are. It would probably have worked with the LAN address too: 192.168.0.4

Max Hugen
Australia

Thanks for the extra feedback.

Which Grand Final are you going to this weekend?

Neither... but I watched both at the pub. :)

Was surprised the Cats trashed Port so thoroughly. The Storm v Sea Eagles was a more entertaining game, I thought. Beer was good in both though!

Max Hugen
Australia

They did not work. We're going to create a login script to run with the mandatory profile to correct the issue. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back