Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prevent users accidentaly moving folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastbr

IS-IT--Management
Jan 15, 2002
US
Users are losing files and folders on our network drives on a regular basis by accidentally dragging them into another folder.

Does anyone know of a way to prevent drag and drop, or at least provide some kind of pop up prompt asking the user if they really want to move the folder?

Thank you for your time

Brent

I hope someone answers your question. I have the same problem.

you could set folder permissions on the folders, to prevent write/modify to the folders. How are users accessing the folers? Do they simply need read access?

NTFS permissions will be about it, unless you do some sort of backup/restore procedure each day, which I dont recommend.

Microsoft has never taken the lead from Novell as far as "delete inhibit". There is no means at present to stop this action in MS OSs. You might look into Executive software's "Undelete"( great product). Not only does it give up to the second recovery unlike system restore, but it also logs the offenders who SCREW up, deleting and moving directories; you would be surprised how fast your problem lessens, once the offenders can be pinned down.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Thanks Technome, I agree with the Novell issue, when we had it, it was easy to prevent users from doing this.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Technome: Do you know a ball park figure for implementing Undelete for a 200 user network?

thanks,
Brent

I would just run the Undelete on your servers. Thats what I do here. On Executive Software's website, per server is $299 per copy.

I'll second xwire, I have multiple clients, on a few I have the wks interface for the bosses, other than that, I only use it on the server.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back