Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prevent others from installing programs in windows 98 se

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterchicker

Programmer
Mar 10, 2004
US
How do I prevent others from installing programs in Windows 98 SE?

Howdy:

Take the power cord with you when you leave the system..

Win98 doesn't have the security or settings available to it to do what you are asking !!

Murray

or you can lock your desktop using a third party tool. visit snapfiles for some freewares of such type.

hope this helps. peace! [peace]

kilroy [trooper]
philippines

"Illegitimis non carborundum!"

There is a program called WinLock by visionsoft that can help. It costs a little but it works well, especially for networked PCs.

Mike

Hold the Wheel and drive

Utilize the BIOS password

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

I would concure with TT4U, a bios password is the Most "idiot proof" way to prevent someone/anyone from doing something on your PC, 2nd would be if your system had a Keyboard Lock on the case, followed by if the system is Networked, setting up a Policy with policy Editor to prevent unauthorized use, followed by one of the Software products mentioned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back