Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prevent Game executable from Running in server 2003 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitalWreck

IS-IT--Management
Apr 21, 2006
GB
Hi,

I work in the IT department for a school and we've recently had a problem whereby kids are bringing in games on flash drives and executing them on our networked computers.

Does anyone know of a way of preventing selected executables from being executed via a group policy in server 2003 with XP professional clients?

Thanks

Yes, you can do this with Group Policy.

Navigate to User Configuration\Administrative Templates\System

Find the policy "Don't run specified Windows applications", enable the policy and click Show by List of disallowed applications. Add the names of the executables, like aim.exe for example. You will need to know the specific executable name.

As an alternative you could configure "Run only allowed Windows applications". This way you can limit them to only running the applications you specify.

Joey
A+, Network+, MCP

You can also disable the use of Flash Drives on your network by use of Group Policy

If you are using all XP then take a look at software restriction policy it's far more versatile. If the kids start renaming the exe then it will run again but with software restriction you can hash the exe so if will fail regardless of name. You can also ban using path rules and ban .bat and .vbs files it's really very impressive.

Thanks porkshopexpress,

The hash restrictions works perfectly. LiveMessenger and CounterStrike will finally come to an end...i hope.

No probs. Just remember that when a new version comes out you will need to re hash it, so it could be an idea to use path rules as well.

Excellent PCE. You deserve a star!

BTW, I was going to mention that, but you beat me to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back