Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prevent Excel 97 save as newer version 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pcfred

Technical User
Jan 15, 2002
US
I have a spreadsheet with a lot of VB in it and I need to limit any user from saving it as a new version of Excel(2000 or higher). Does anyone know how to limit this to just the Excel 97 version through code or another means?

Thnx in advance,
PCFred

I think you are out of luck, in reality. Please explain the exact situation, and why this is a problem.

You can put code in Workbook_BeforeSave, checking Application.Version. You can prevent the save or allow the save. But saving to a specific Excel 97 version? Not exactly sure about that. XlFileFormat has a slew of various formats, but I am not exactly sure that FileFormat:=xlExcel9795 will solve your problem.

I know that compiling in 2002 will have problems when the code runs in 97, but the code remains the same.

I find that even though Microsoft states they're compatible, some code doesn't run the same.

Also,
When a user saves the workbook in 2000 the chart data from my pivot table doesn't display correctly so I want to make sure it stays at 97.

In the workbook_BeforeSave
just put cancel = true
Then, write your own sub (you can record it) for saving and attach it to a button that says "SAVE" or similar

Within that code, at the start, put:
application.enableevents = false
This will stop the BeforeSave event from firing
and at the end
application.enableevents = true

Rgds
Geoff
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go."
-Oscar Wilde

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search