Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prevent Directory Creation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shibboleth

Technical User
Apr 25, 2003
US
I posted this a couple days ago but was unable to get exactly what I needed. How can I restrict users from creating directories/folders on a server share but still allow them to change/create/delete files?

Shibboleth

Under Security, do you have a user as Everyone? On bottom of screen you'll see a check box. Allow Inheritable permissions...

First add the users that you want access to that folder. Then uncheck that check box and delete Everyone User. Under Advanced you can set what the user can or cannot do. Ej. delete, create folders, etc.

Hope this helps. :)

Unfortunately the box in the Advanced tab that allows restriction of creating folder is:
Create Folder / Append Data

So when I don't allow my users that option they also can't change files (Append Data) which causes wide-spread panic.

Hi Shibboleth,

What you are looking at is the Access Control. Leave that alone. When you right click on the folder in question, click the security tab, don't click advanced. You can edit security here that will control the access.

Josh

MCSE, CCNA, MCT, MCP

...or limit the permissions on the sharing tab. Click the permissions button and assign groups and users to certain abilities, ie read, change, or full control. Only full control can create folders, but change can edit data in an existing folder.

Josh

MCSE, CCNA, MCT, MCP

Without click advanced what specific checkboxes will limit folder creation but not file creation/change/deletion?

Maybe something else is wrong because changing the Share Permissions to Read and Change but not Full doesn't stop folder creation/deletion either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back