Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prevent Dial-up connection box opening when Windows Exporer Starts 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

guscottg

Technical User
Mar 14, 2001
GB
I am using Windows XP Home edition with Internet Explorer version 6 which came installed with the PC. I recently re-install my PC with the software supplied but now whenever I open Windows Explorer I get the dial up connection box poping asking me to connect to the internet. How can I prevent the dial-up connection dialog displaying when I start Windows Explorer and only when I open Internet Explorer.

If you look in your 'My Network Places', you might find some web sites and/or FTP sites in there - delete these.

Thanks for the tip. I tried this but the problem still remains. I also tried deleting all references in the registry to the web site it is trying to connect to but still no joy

What is the website?
It could be because of a virus or spyware

Try this ...

Open IE and go to Tool -> Internet Options and then click on the "Connections" tab at the top. Make sure the "Never Dial a Connection" radio button is selected.

If you can't open IE because of the problem, here are two other ways to get into the IE properties. The first is go to your control panel and select "Internet Options" and the other is to right click on the IE icon on the desktop and select properties. This second one only works if the icon is the special one that IE puts there at install ... if it is a shortcut then it will not work.

Later ...

Once again thanks for all the helpful advice which has help me to solve the problem. I downloaded and ran Ad-Aware which deep clean the registry and picked up some suspect files with a txt extension.

The culprit appeared to have been a registry entry which attempted to reach a site which doesn't exist anymore. It appears that they use to do a program called Surfairy which is on the image of the supplied restoration disk.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back