Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

prevent deletion of inventory items containing matching sales trans

Status
Not open for further replies.

BofRossClan

Technical User
Mar 26, 2002
US
I am working on an sales/inventory program. I need to be able to stop the user from deleting inventory items in the Master Inventory that have matching sales transactions. I have placed a delete button next to the item in my inventory lookup form. This is the code I tried, and it didn't work. I created a table "MasterInventory Without Matching Transactions" to search from. I get an error message "You canceled the previous operation" when I run my code.

varCode = Me.ItemCode
Dim varResult As Variant

varResult = DLookup("[InvID]", "[MasterInventory Without Matching Transactions]", "invid = " & varCode)

If varResult Is Null Then

MsgBox ("Sales transanctions exist for this item. You cannot delete it")
Exit Sub

Else

DoCmd.RunSQL "DELETE MasterInventory.InvID FROM MasterInventory" & _
" WHERE invid = " & varCode

End If

If InvID is not defined as numeric in the table "MasterInventory Without Matching Transactions":
Code:
varResult = DLookup("InvID", "[MasterInventory Without Matching Transactions]", "InvID='" & varCode & "'")

Anyway, replace this:
with this:
If IsNull(varResult) Then

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

all sales transactions are deleted
seems you've enabled the cascading delete stuff ...

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Anyway, replace this:
with this:
If IsNull(varResult) Then

Still getting the same result. I made sure my INVID in my query was set to numeric.

Have you disabled the cascading delete option in the RelationShip ?
Are you sure that the ItemCode control in your form is populated and numeric ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

I don't really want to disable the cascading delete. The data is important in both tables, and I really don't want either of them deleted.

The itemCode has to be populated for the delete button to show up on the form, and all my ItemCode fields are numeric.

The data is important in both tables, and I really don't want either of them deleted.
So, you definitively want to disable the cascading delete !

So, you definitively want to disable the cascading delete !

Well, not really. It would create a huge mess to have sales transactions hanging out there without a master inventory item to reference, and I have some code that relies on the cascading delete. As long as I force the user into NOT being able to delete when there are transactions, there won't be a problem. Thus this code - because my client did delete records he shouldn't have!!!!

With a properly configured RelationShip you can't delete a referenced item.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back