Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prevent an IP Phone to dial all extension but 6 specific ext.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HantzT

Technical User
Feb 24, 2014
CA
I guys,
My IP Office setup [IP Office Server Edition Ver. 9.0.7. Linux OS (1 Primary Server, 1 Backup Server, 2 V2)]

I have some telephone that I would like to prevent do dial all extension but 6.
Is there anyway to do that?

I understand that short codes cannot do that since dial codes are ignored if dialing matches a user.

=======================

Also, is there a way to remove all users from the contacts on a telephone or block the use of the contact button all together?

First query cannot be done, second can be done by using Ex-Directory.

| ACSS SME |

Sorry! I think I just didn't explained correctly.

I want to remove the directory from the telephone, so that the user would not have access to the directory at all.

If you give them 54xx or 56xx handsets then there is no directory button. Any other phone and there is a static contacts button, so the best you can do is make it empty by putting everyone as ex-directory.

| ACSS SME |

You can auto dial into a VMPro module with a ?D short code. In VMPro you can only allow the wanted numbers.

Won't work of if phone is set to "en-bloc" dialling or when using directory or using programmable buttons or using the missed call feature.
What you want is impossible as said here a thousand times.
But maybe, just maybe you can adjust the 46xxsettings.txt, use the GROUP feature and adjust the dial plan. But only for IP Phones and maybe IP Office ignores the dialplan configured in the 46xxsettings file.
Never tried that as it is a bit odd.

Another nifty thing you can do is set ALL phones on DND and allow ALL extensions to call any phone except those six. Which is stupid to try.

But I would not do that, give those six a e129 SIP phone and in there I know for sure you can adjust the dialplan to only allow to dial certain numbers.
We have done that on a campus with phones in class rooms.

Release 10.?.? may have tenancy, so watch this space.

Punjab Power. Lighting up your life.

Here is a shot in the dark. Try changing the six phones that you would like to dial to for example extent 601-606 while all the other phones in the system are in the 200s. Then just bar the phone from making any calls but to 6xx? I have not tested this but it possibly could work.

tyronejr, the system will always hit an internal extension before trying any shortcodes.

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

IPO is not intended for tenancy so there's no reason it shouldn't be able to call an internal extension.
Haven't seen anything in R10 that would indicate that it will change there.

In the Location settings you can say how many internal calls from other Locations can call that Location, but since the minimum is 1 it doesn't help you.
If they would just allow this to be set to 0 it would give some tenancy possibilities, also you would need to be able to tie the user to a location, not just based on IP.

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

janni78 is right

the order it compares anything you dial to is
Users
Groups
User Shortcodes
System Shortcodes

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

intrigrant, I love the creative insanity of the DND solution. I wouldn't use it because bad things would eventually happen but you wield an impressive hammer for round pegs and square holes.

My only suggestion would be to try derfloh's solution of the ?D to a VM Pro module and combine it with a User Short Code that sends all dialed digits to an outside trunk to try and address the problem intrigrant mentioned with the en bloc dialing (or the same short code that sends any en bloc dialing to the same VM Pro module.) You would still need to give them a 54xx or a 56xx phone as Pepp77 suggested to eliminate access to the Directory feature (though I'm not sure how the Directory feature would react with the User Short Code to send all digits to an outside trunk.)

Bottom line is the system just doesn't do this so you need to align your customer's expectations and let them know that whatever you give them is a work around that bypasses one of the most basic rules of the system's operation. Even if the above works you likely won't be able to transfer calls from that extension to the six you'd like it to be able to dial. There are also likely a number of other simple features we all take for granted that may not function.

Now that I think about this you also need to be careful about breaking the ability to dial the local emergency number as well. You might be able to address that in a User Short Code, but it should definitely be tested before implementing anything.

Thanks you guys for your answers!

derfloh said:
You can auto dial into a VMPro module with a ?D short code. In VMPro you can only allow the wanted numbers.

Unfortunately doing that doesn't disallow the user from browsing the directory and dialing from it bypassing the < ?D > short code.

intrigrant said:
... give those six a e129 SIP phone and in there I know for sure you can adjust the dialplan to only allow to dial certain numbers. We have done that on a campus with phones in class rooms

Great! Phones in Classrooms is exactly what i'm trying to do. Thank you for your solution!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back