Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prevent Alt + CTRL + DEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

ushtabalakh

Programmer
Jun 4, 2007
Is there anyway to not let the user see the task manager by pressing alt + ctrl + del? I want the operating system to ignore alt + ctrl + del and pretend it has not been pressed.

It's much easier to do this with Group Policy either on the machine or the server if you're using a network with a domain. You don't disable Ctrl+Alt+Del, but restrict the user's access to the Task Manager.

If you do decide to go with a coding solution, remember that the Task Manager can also be launched by right-clicking on the Task Bar and selecting "Task Manager..."

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Sounds like maybe you are building a Kiosk or something. You can also use those policy settings to load a/your program in place of the desktop (explore.exe) which will take away the taskbar, desktop, etc.

HINT: Before you doing all of this however, make sure that you can set the policy settings from a second computer incase you lock yourself out of being able to access the policy settings on that pc. Been there, done that... not fun. LOL!

Senior Software Developer

I do not have access to any of the methods you have mentioned, I'm looking for a vb.net solution not a windows solution.

One method that I was thinking about was to have a timer that sends "Esc" to the user every few milliseconds that way even if he presses ctrl + alt + del, he won't see anything because that windwos will close immediately.

The timer/ESC idea will kill resources and probably produce all kinds of other issues as well.

You are talking about catching/preventing a seriously high level API call. You can do some web searching and you might be able to find something. I did that and found a bunch of solutions but I really don't know any that work and have never tested any myself. I just know that the ctrl+alt+del combo is a high level code call.

I tend to agree with jebenson and SiriusBlackOp. This functionality would best be controlled by Windows. If that is not an option (maybe you are doing this on a home pc or such where there is not domain), my next bet would be to look for a third party program to do this for me. As Sirius said...you run the risk of locking yourself out of your own PC/causing some other Windows functionality you DO NEED not to work/etc.

=======================================
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world. (Calvin from Calvin And Hobbs)

Robert L. Johnson III
CCNA, CCDA, MCSA, CNA, Net+, A+, CHDP
VB/Access Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back